There are very few things that I love more than Mexican Food and Margaritas.
And using the right taco seasoning can completely make or break your taco night. You don’t want bland tacos that can’t stand up to a powerful marg with a salty rim. So why not kick it up a notch with organic taco seasoning made in your own kitchen?
The contents of your taco mix is the best place to start. If you tend to use a store-bought mix, go grab it and check out the ingredients.
If you’re like most people, you’re probably grabbing a big name brand like McCormick. Let me tell you why their ingredients make me cringe:
Typical packaged taco mix ingredients:
- Sugar – This kills me. As if it isn’t hard enough to avoid sweet treats, we now have to worry about added sugar in spice mixes and other foods. Its completely unnecessary, and causes you to perpetuate your addiction to sugar and foods that contain it. Thats how they keep you coming back for more.
- Whey (Milk) – WHY? How sucky for people who don’t eat animal products! They can’t even use a simple spice mix! And not only is it totally unnecessary, but it also causes inflammation of the gut, an issue that is linked to many other health issues.
- Potato Starch – This ingredient is used for anti-caking, which sounds like a good thing. But its also used as a cheap filler so big companies can spend less on real herbs and spices and instead replace them with flavorless, crappy fillers.
- Natural Flavor – How many times can I ask WHYYYY?! Its seasoning for taco meat! All you need is a few herbs and spices, and some salt and pepper and you’ve got a wonderful, flavorful mix. But again, big companies prefer to use ambiguous, chemically synthesized ingredients to trick you into wanting more and more. Our brains are amazing, and food chemists know exactly how to manipulate us.
Now that you think I’m completely crazy, lets get to the good stuff.
Life is better homemade!
I love making my own spice mixes. Try making a batch of taco meat with the mix you usually use, and then make a batch with the homemade version. The flavor difference is amazing!
But what I need you to hear more than anything is this little bit of info:
Use about 2 tablespoons of your homemade seasoning per pound of ground beef.
I know this seems like a lot, but its really not. Almost every time I make tacos or burrito bowls (see that recipe here!), someone asks me how I make them so flavorful. And every time someone sees me cooking up the meat they say, “Wow, thats a lot of seasoning!”. Thats how I know that most people must not use nearly enough, and that leads to a serious lack of flavor.
Who knew there was so much to say about taco seasoning? Now for the recipe! Enjoy, friends.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tbsp organic chili powder
- 1/2 tsp organic garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!)
- 1/2 tsp organic onion powder
- 1/2 tsp organic crushed pepper/pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp organic dried oregano
- 1 tsp organic paprika (regular or smoked)
- 1 tbsp organic ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Put all the spices in a jar and shake it up to mix everything evenly. Store with your spices in a cool, dry place.
*I buy my organic spices in bulk, through companies like Frontier or Starwest. A whole pound of spices costs the same amount as a tiny jar in stores! I highly suggest splitting a membership like this with friends and ordering spices together. Its so worth it!
If you love tacos as much as we do, feel free to double this recipe to make a big batch! I prefer to do it all at once and have it ready anytime I need to whip up something yummy and easy.
The shown recipe makes enough for about three (1 pound) batches of ground beef.